Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Preparation


No! It's not the cream.  I am getting ready for a much needed and anticipated vacation to Asia and it's DAMN exciting!

I will be departing the ever wonderful city of San Francisco, for whom I have been resisting falling in love with, on November 29th. Yeah, that's 10 days from now!
I will arrive in Bangkok on December 30th at about midnight local time. Ouch! I transfer planes in Tokyo on my way there.
After a week in Bangkok, I will ta
ke a train and boat to Koh Tao and then Koh Samui for a week and then back to Bangkok.
Departing on the 16th for Tokyo. I hope to take the train from Tokyo to Osaka and Kyoto and find some beautiful sights and a relaxing onsen for a few days then return to Tokyo.
A week in Tokyo including Christmas and then returning to San Francisco on December 30th.

I forgot to mention that I have never been to Thailand before so it will be a new and exciting experience for me. I have only been to Japan once and didn't get to spend too much time in Tokyo so really looking forward to it. Not to mention I will be able to practice my Japanese.

I went to REI to pick up a sweet travelers backpack (REI Grand Tour Travel Pac) and some new shoes so I will be doing the backpackers thing this time. No suitcases! :)

Should be quite the adventure so stay tuned and I will do my best to keep posting with updates along the way and hopefully some amazing photos.

Cheers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother, I am so excited for you!!! Please take your gratitude rock (it wont weigh much) cuz im grateful for your safe return and the trip of a lifetime for you. I'm also grateful cuz your going to meet the love of your life...so bring her home!!! Love Lisa

Anonymous said...

i wish that you ll have a nice time in Thailand and also a great adventure in Japan

Psavvy

Anonymous said...

Loren!

Eric and I just returned yesterday from two weeks in Thailand! We stayed in Bangkok, Ko Samui as well as Phuket. It was an amazing time. While you're in Bangkok, a MUST SEE is the Grand Palace... it was BREATHTAKING and the history behind it is pretty damn cool. I'm posting pictures on my MySpc page... but pix do not do it justice.

We stayed in about 6 hotels, and our favorite one was in Ko Samui called Muang Samui. It's right on the beach and was beautiful!!

Let's see, what else can I tell you... oh, you can get better exchange rates outside of the airport, but it wouldn't hurt to exchange about $50 there so you can catch a cab to your hotel. And you'll see a ton of shopping... Virtually EVERYTHING is negotiable, even a cab ride... but while in Bangkok, you should take the skytrain if you can, it's about 120 baht for an all day pass. Or if you won't be near the skytrain, a metered taxi won't cost you much at all, just make sure they turn on the meter.

Oh, and KaoSan Road is a fun place in Bangkok as well.

You'll have a blast!! We sure did!

Lots of Love and make it GREAT!!!!! ~L

Anyar said...

Hi Loren :)

welcome to thailand. now, i can't send you for the interesting place. cause the politics problems here still go on. i will update on the day before you go hope you can check email. I will list the place you should and should not visit in bkk. but for the southern thailand i think will not have anything bother your trip. so sad... that thailand can't give you warm welcome.

take care, Anya

Anonymous said...

Hi Bud,
I sure miss you and now knowing that you are 1000's of miles and worlds away seems scary but I am excited for you. I can't wait to tell you about what I am up to but for now have fun and I will try to keep up with your blog, you dog you ;-) your sis Netty

Netty said...

Hey Bud,

I forgot to tell you that I love you. And take care.